Finding ASME papers & publications
Finding American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) papers can be tricky. Here are some tips on searching for ASME papers, based on the date of publication. For help accessing these papers see the box below.
- 1880 - 1988: Use finding aids (see below) to determine the paper number. You may also search Compendex to try to determine the paper number or other useful information. See below for how to access these items in the Barker Engineering Library.
- 1989 - 2001: Search Compendex to try to determine the paper number or other useful information. See below for how to access these items in the Barker Engineering Library.
- 2002 - present: ASME Technical Papers are available online in the ASME Digital Collection.
ASME standards are not available online. There are some ASME Standards in print in Barker Library (Click "Find it in the library/Request item" to see a list of standards). See the Standards Guide for more information on locating standards at MIT or to request a standard.
ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes: Check Barton for availability. Search by "Call Number Begins With..." for TJ290 .A512 to see the sections and volumes.
Locating ASME Papers in the MIT Libraries
There are several places to check to locate ASME papers in the Barker Engineering Library. Where to look will be determined by the date of publication. Barker Library does NOT have all ASME papers. Look for individual paper numbers in a variety of locations to try to find them.
- 1955 - 1967: Papers in microfiche are in cabinets labled "Society Papers" in the microfiche room on the 5th floor of Barker Library. Organized by year, then paper number.
- 1955 - 2001: Papers in print were collected and bound by year. Example: paper 71-NE-14 is found in the 1971 volumes. Here is the record in Barton. Barker Library stacks: call number TJ7.A512
- GT or Gas Turbine papers, 1968 - 2001: Papers are bound by year and shelved after the rest of the ASME technical papers. Barker Library stacks: call number TJ7.A512 GT
- WA or Winter Annual papers, 1960 - 1998: Papers are bound by year and shelved after the rest of the ASME technical papers and after the GT papers. Barker Library stacks: call number TJ7.A512 WA
- 2002 - present: check the ASME Digital Collection for PDFs of proceedings papers
- Many papers are available in print in Barker Library as part of conference proceedings. Search Barton for the ASME conference. Sometimes searching for the section also helps (example: DETC, AMD, FED, etc).
- GT or Gas Turbine papers: search Barton for Turbo Expo - call number in Barker Stacks TJ778.A76
If you do not find the ASME paper that you need, Ask Us!
Use these print volumes to determine the paper number or other useful information to help track down the full text of the paper. As a last resort, the "Difficult to find engineering papers" from Linda Hall Library might help.