See our video tutorials for help using the MIT Libraries and all of its resources.
Find journal articles
Search a bibliographic database:
- Compendex: general engineering and Inspec: electronics, computing, control, robotics, physics
- Introduction to Compendex and Inspec (video tutorial - 3:04)
- PubMed: medicine and biology
- Web of Science: general science, some engineering
- Greenwire: Provides daily coverage of environmental and energy news with a focus on politics and policy.
Search the MIT Libraries catalog: Barton
Tip: Finding a proper subject heading can be a useful way to find information. Try a subject search to find books on a topic. The following list offers several examples of subjects used in our catalog.
- Physical distribution of goods
- Mobile computing
- People with disabilities
- Cell phone systems
Selected resources that you may find useful. This is NOT a comprehensive list. For books on Markets/market share see the Market Research & Industry Overviews tab.
- Knovel: Engineering and Scientific Handbooks
- A full text collection of hundreds of handbooks and reference sources. There is a section on Food Science.
- Appropriate Technology Library: A full-text collection of over one thousand publications covering projects and technical information
- Books 24x7
- Full-text e-books in engineering, including items like ASHRAE handbooks
- Springer E-books
- OECD iLibrary
- Books and reports from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. Go to Books By Theme.
Check these manufacturer listings to get a better sense for what products are already on the market. You can also contact companies directly for information.
- GlobalSpec: contains over 24,000 digitized catalogs that represent over 2.3 million products and over 183 million searchable product spec
- Medical Device Register: available in print in the Hayden/Science Library reference collection
- Thomas Register: a comprehensive resource for finding information on suppliers of industrial products and services in North America
- Also availalble in print in Barker Library: Thomas Register of American Manufacturers
Dewey Library for Management & Social Science E53-100