Finding SAE technical papers
Use the SAE Digital Library to search for all Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) publications from 1906 - present.
- 1906 - 1997: SAE technical papers are not online. See below for how to access these items in the Barker Engineering Library.
- 1998 - present: SAE Technical Papers are available online in the SAE Digital Library.
- SAE standards are not available online. See the standards guide for more information.
Finding SAE Papers in the MIT Libraries
Papers published prior to 1998
- Look up the paper in the Annual index/abstracts of SAE technical papers, located on the fifth floor of Barker Engineering Library, in the Reference Collection, at call number ZTL1.S6779.
At the bottom of the record, look for a mention of the SAE Transactions.
If that field is not blank, the paper is published as part of the SAE Transactions.
The latest 5 years of the SAE Transactions are in Barker’s Stacks at TL1.S679. Earlier years are kept at the Library Storage Annex. Request volumes from the Annex. (Click "Find it in the Library/Request item" to view an itemized list, then "Request Item" to select a specific volume or "Request PDF" to request a specific paper from that volume.)
Look at the beginning of the record. If you see a “P-“ or “SP-“ there is a chance that there is a print version in Barker. You can check Barton by doing a keyword search for “SAE SP 990” in the case below.
If neither of the above cases matches your paper’s record:
- check the SAE Technical Papers on microfiche on the 5th floor of Barker in the drawers labeled SAE, filed by year and paper number (1961-2004)
- check print SAE Technical papers from 1930-1965 (incomplete holdings) at TL1.S553 in the Barker Library stacks
If you have trouble finding the paper you need, ask the desk staff for help.