Recording and Reporting Statistics:
- During the Sample Week, record every transaction in which you are asked a question by a library user. Each time a library staff member encounters and helps an individual, regardless of the number of questions answered within that encounter, count it as one transaction for statistics-taking purposes.
- Download the appropriate form from the Tracking Tools box on this page. Keep track of questions received during the Sample Week. You can also submit individual stats directly to the online Individual Statistics Reporting Form as questions come in and the system will add up your stats for you.
- If you’re working at a service desk when asked a question, please mark the tracking sheet at the desk. If you get a question when not at a service desk nor serving on Circ-RT or Reserves-RT, report those on your personal individual reporting form. Include questions received while monitoring Chat, Ask Us, or other shifts away from a service desk.
- Designated staff should report the aggregate numbers for service desks using the Desk Statistics Reporting Form.
- Designated staff should report the aggregate numbers for Circ-RT and Reserves RT transactions (not tickets) using the Individual Statistics Reporting Form.
- Please do not submit hardcopy forms. If you have any questions or concerns, contact Tina Chan for assistance.
Reference vs. Other:
- Definition of “reference” and “other”:
- Reference transactions are information interactions in which library staff recommend, interpret, evaluate, and/or use information resources to help others to meet particular information needs. Do not include simple directional questions.
- “Other” transactions include exchanges that provide assistance with information such as, but not limited to, locations, hours, equipment, supplies, policy, and directions. “Other” transactions also include complex circulation questions that are not counted through Aleph.
ARL Sample weeks run from Monday to Sunday:
- 4th week in July
- 4th week in October
- 4th week in January
- 4th week in April