Find data on any subject
These data resources and tools cover many topics and subjects across the social sciences:
- Find data on any subject: top sources
- More data on any subject
- Find data repositories across disciplines
- Get tips for locating data on a topic
- Harvard-MIT Data Center
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Find data on any subject: top sources
For more data resources, see Social Science Data Services.
More data on any subject
Find data repositories across disciplines
Need data for your research? Use these listing to find a data repository in your discipline.
Tips for locating data on a topic
1. For finding statistical sources by subject, try:
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
Collection of statistics on social and economic conditions in the United States. Contains detailed source citations, pointing to more detailed data sources from a variety of Federal agencies and private organizations.
- Historical Statistics of the United States
This database provides not only tables of historical data, but extensive accompanying documentation which points to sources of data on various subjects.
2. Conduct a literature review in your field and investigate the data sources that the researchers cite. Have trouble figuring out what resources they used because the article lacks a data citation? Contact Katherine McNeill, Social Science Data Services Librarian for help.
3. In Barton, the MIT Libraries' catalog:
- Under Advanced Search, select Search by Physical Format and limit your search to either CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs or Electronic Resources.
- Use keyword and subject terms such as: statistics and data, combined with your topic of interest.