This document illustrates linking a single item of type ISSUE to two bib records. To create this type of "bound with" in ALEPH, a special linking field, LKR, is used. Other uses of the LKR field are discussed in the ALEPH Cataloging Training manual, Tab 5 ("Cataloging Training"), page 30 ("Special Fields").
Create the item and the LKR field
- For ease of navigation, start in the OPAC module. Add both titles to the nav. map, with the earlier title on top.
- Highlight the first title on the nav. map, and click on "Items". Create an item record for the bound-together piece.
- Return to the OPAC. Highlight the second title on the nav. map, and click on "Catalog BIB".
- In the cataloging module, add the LKR field to the second title. Be sure to save all your work to the server.
- ‡a : type of link : ITM for item
- ‡b : system number of the linked ADM record (usually, but not necessarily, the same sys no. as the bib record)
- ‡i : issue : exactly what you entered for Enum.level.2 in the item record; if your item has no 2nd level of enumeration (like in the example), do not include this subfield
- ‡l : library : always MIT50 (MIT Admin)
- ‡v : volume (Enum.level.1)
- ‡y : year (Chron.level.1)
Check your work
The linked item will display correctly in the Web OPAC. In the staff client, there is only one place that displays the linked item correctly:
- In the staff OPAC, call up the later title.
- On the first tab of the display ("Full+Link"), highlight "Holdings -- All Items."
- Click on the "Items" button. The linked item will display.