Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MIT Libraries Staff Web

Staff Advisory Council (SAC): Meeting Agendas

Web presence for the MIT Libraries Staff Advisory Council

Latest agendas

2020 May 27

  • Group member check-in 
  • Ground rules review
  • Mid-year goals review
  • Proposal to the administration

2020 May 12

  • Group member check-in 
  • Recent co-chair communications
  • Exit interview debrief

2020 April 28

  • Group member check-in 
  • Help with Tell Us
  • Proposal to the administration

2020 April 15

  • Group member check-in 
  • Discussion of recent exit interviews
  • Review feedback about working from home

2020 March 30

  • Group member check-in (SAC's first meeting since WFH started)
  • Working from home feedback from staff
  • Discussion of recent exit interviews

2020 March 11

  • Libraries response to coronavirus
  • Hayden renovation-related communications
  • Exit interviews

2020 February 24

  • Group member check-in
  • Most Important Thing review
  • Hayden renovation letter discussion

2020 February 18
Guests: Jeremiah Graves, Judith Gallagher

  • Establish co-chairs
  • SAC coming/going lunch
  • AD candidates
  • Hayden renovation updates

2020 January 27

  • Onboarding
  • Prep for meeting with Chris B, Tracy, Rachael
  • Co-chair election 

2019 Nov 21

Guest: Libby Mahaffy

SAC Infrastructure (see 2019 Aug 1)

2019 Oct 7

SAC + HR (Guests: Rachael Weisz, Cherry Ibrahim)

  • Learn about and share factors contributing to people leaving
  • Help develop exit interview survey/HR dashboard
  • How can we collaborate?

2019 Oct 2

Guest: Chris Bourg, Tracy Gabridge, Rachael Weisz

How can/should SAC interact with Tell Us and make this more productive for all staff?

2019 Sept 26

Prep for meeting with HR on 10/7

  • Learn about and share factors contributing to people leaving
  • Help develop exit interview survey/HR dashboard
  • How can we collaborate?

2019 Aug 29

Guests: Chris Bourg, Tracy Gabridge, Rachael Weisz

Possible discussion topics

  • With Pat's departure, who is the point person for concerns about the Hayden renovation? We know staff have many different concerns we'd like to keep an eye on, and we want to make sure we are effective in our job of communicating staff concerns by asking the correct people and knowing who is accountable. (Any updates on the feedback mechanisms chart mentioned in the meeting with Ashley and Jeremiah?)
  • Looking over the annual report, there is lots of progress mentioned in making information open, interactive, and computational. Keeping in mind that we need staff to make this happen, what progress has been made since our last conversations on plans for addressing the Libraries’ problems with retention, specifically of PoC staff?
  • On concrete actions and building trust - the recent LAII/III pay raises are a great opportunity to be open, but at the moment it is still unclear how those were decided. Some lingering questions from staff:
    • What was the metric?
    • Who made these decisions/had final approval?
    • Why aren’t job descriptions updated on a regular basis?
    • Will the generic job descriptions be available to employees?
    • Will there be a process for reevaluating?
  • More broadly, if we establish regular meetings, what’s the purpose? Is it to bounce ideas? To gather feedback on past/upcoming decisions? What do we all want to get out of these meetings and how can we best use our time together?

2019 Aug 22

Guest: Ronnie Haas

CliftonStrengths Assessment tool:

  • Review the concept of strengths and the value of a strengths-based team
  • Develop an understanding of your to 5 Signature Strengths
  • Identify principles on how to leverage individual and team strengths to advance the work of SAC

2019 Aug 1, 2019 Aug 8, 2019 Aug 15, 2019 Sept 5, 2019 Sept 17, 2019 Oct 10, 2019 Oct 24, 2019 Nov 7, 2019 Nov 21
Guest: Libby Mahaffy

SAC Infrastructure

  • Ground rules and accountability
  • Membership and roles
    • Tenure
    • Representation
    • Cycling of members and roles
    • Expectations
  • Decision-making
    • Type
    • Enforcement/ management
  • Communication
    • External
    • Internal
  • Scope
  • Goals
  • Deliverables
    • Short
    • Medium
    • Long-term
  • Subcommittees
    • Structure and ground rules
  • Meeting frequency and duration

 

2019 July 24
Facilitator: Ashley
Notes: Michelle
Guest: Chris Bourg

  • Recap of past action items - 5 mins - Ashley
    • Staff turnover numbers
    • Koya letter
    • Google Drive
  • Exit Interviews - 5 mins - Ashley
  • Talking Points - 10 mins - Ashley
  • Discussion with Chris Bourg - 60 mins - Ashley
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Michelle

 

2019 July 16
Facilitator: Matt
Notes: Barbara

  • Recap of past action items - 10 mins - Matt
    • Communication team
    • Hayden feedback session team
    • Staff turnover numbers
    • Working with Yashu
  • Reflection on Facilitation workshop - 15 mins - Matt
  • Updates from Co-chairs + CB & TG meeting - 20 mins - Ashley & Jeremiah
  • Prep for 7/24 meeting with CB - 25 mins - Matt
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Barbara

 

2019 July 10

Faciliation workshop for SAC; guest: Sofia Leung

 

2019 July 1
Facilitator: Barbara
Notes: Howard

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 20 mins - Barbara
    • Koya - update
    • StrengthsFinder coach - update
    • Possible meetings with Chris/Tracy in July and August
    • Dropbox assessment
    • Revisit action items highlighted in yellow in “past action items” spreadsheet to assign target dates. Provide updates as needed (and consider if email would suffice).
  • (2) Timelines for upcoming projects - 20 mins - Barbara
  • (3) Meeting frequency - 15 mins - Ashley
  • (4) Preview of co-chairs’ meeting with CB and TAG - 10 mins - Ashley and Jeremiah
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Howard

 

2019 June 25
Facilitator: Chris
Notes: Julia
Guest: Libby Mahaffy

  • (1) Meet Libby Mahaffy - 20 mins - Chris
  • (2) Recap of past action items - 10 mins - Chris + Michelle will take notes in the spreadsheet
  • (3) Preview of co-chairs’ meeting with CB and TAG -  25 mins - Ashley and Jeremiah
  • (4) Possible SAC involvement with ADs search - 15 mins - Michelle
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Julia


2019 June 18
Facilitator: Howard
Notes: Chris

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 10 mins - Howard
    • “Hayden Renovation” drop-in session”
    • Discussion with Hayden Renovation Communication Team
    • Reach out to Karrie – re: Service Design Team / IDLA
    • Reach out to Rachael – re: stakeholders/Koya
    • MIT Themes Wrap-Up email
  • (2) Group Dynamics/Organization - 25 mins - Michelle
  • (3) Taking Stock: Short Term Upcoming Work - 25 mins - Ashley
  • (4) Team Divisions - 25 mins - Grace
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Chris

 

2019 June 13
Facilitator: Julia
Notes: Jeremiah

  • (1) Update of past action items - 5 mins - Julia
    • Use Dropbox in June
    • Summer Meeting Time(s)
    • Strengthsfinder
    • Most Important Thing doc/email
  • (2) Hayden Renovation Feedback from building 14 staff - 60mins - Julia
  • (3) Koya & AD’s search firm - 20mins - Michelle, Barbara, Grace and anyone else who has met with the search firm
  • Recap of action items from this meeting    5 mins    Jeremiah


2019 June 5
Facilitator: Grace
Notes: Judith

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 mins - Grace
    • Move Drive content to Dropbox
    • Use Dropbox in June
    • Summer Meeting Time(s)
  • (2) Hayden Outreach - 20 mins - Judith/Chris/Julia
  • (3) Most Important Thing Next Steps - 60 mins - Grace
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Judith

 

2019 May 23
Facilitator: Jeremiah
Notes: Grace

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 mins - Jeremiah
  • (2) Summer meeting schedule - 10 mins - Jeremiah
  • (3) Debrief on meetings with CB, TAG, RW - 45 mins - Jeremiah
  • (4) Recap work of subgroups: Infrastructure, [Communications], Agenda - 15 mins - Jeremiah, Ashley, Julia
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Grace


2019 May 16 - SAC meeting with Rachael Weisz

  • Intro / framing the meeting - 5 min - Ashley
  • Where do you think we are in the organization?
  • How should SAC work with HR?
  • Lack of trust is one of the fundamental challenges in the organization. What do you think we (staff, administration, management, HR) can do to build the trust we need?
  • Discussion on Tell Us

 

2019 May 9
Facilitator: Judith
Notes: Michelle

  • (1) Recap of past action items -15 mins - Judith
    • Update on Collaboration with ILS migration team
    • Update on Infrastructure meet with HR Rep/Dyan
    • Update on Dropbox migration
    • All Staff Meeting recap
  • (2) Agenda Item - Most Important Thing Results - 15-20 mins - Judith
  • (3) Agenda Item- Planning for Rachael Weisz on May 16th - 50 mins-1 hr - Judith
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Michelle

April 25, 2019 - SAC meeting with Tracy Gabridge

  • Intro / framing the meeting (5 min) - Matt
  • How do you envision SAC working with you / Library leadership? - Jeremiah
  • What does a successful first year for SAC look like? - Ashley
  • What are your top priorities and pressures with respect to organizational health and effectiveness? - Chris
  • From your perspective as Deputy Director, how is the Managing for Learning and Inclusion process going? - Julia

 

April 18, 2019

Facilitator: Michelle Baildon

Notes: Chris Tanguay

  • Preparing for SAC’s Meeting with Tracy Gabridge on April 25th - 60 mins - Michelle
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Chris

 

2019 April 4

Facilitator: Barbara

Notes: Howard

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 30 mins - Ashley
    • Barbara/Infrastructure group - pull together something on Mediation/team-building/skill sets
    • agenda items spreadsheet update
    • sub-group for reminder on support staff follow-up letter to administration
    • Barbara, Chris - renovations-related communications (tabled until 4/11, or later)
    • document for topics of conversation with Tracy
  • (2) Meeting on 4/11(?) - 10 mins - Barbara
  • (3) Meeting with Rachael - 10 mins - Ashley
  • (4) Infrastructure team update - 15 mins - Ashley, Jeremiah
  • (5) Technology infrastructure update and next steps/Acknowledgement template - 15 mins - Matt, Julia
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Howard

2019 March 28

Facilitator: Chris

Notes: Ashley

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 10 mins - Chris
    • “Most important thing” form, email, examples. When can we send out? (Howard and Matt)
    • Template text to respond to correspondence to SAC from colleagues. Target date? (Matt and Julia)
    • Review of communications about Hayden reno (Barbara and Chris). See 3/26 email from Chris. To add to upcoming agenda?
    • Reviewing 11/27-2/5 agenda document. Did you check yours yet? Please look at meetings you facilitated to see if the agenda matches what you sent out by email.
  • (2) “Most important thing” responses - 15 min. - Michelle
  • (3) Review and Finalize norms - 30 mins - Chris
  • (4) Holiday closure feedback letter outcome - 15 min. - Michelle
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Ashley

 

2019 March 21

Facilitator: Howard

Notes: Julia

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 15 mins - Howard
    • “Most Important Thing”
    • Infrastructure Group / Dyan meeting
    • Review of SAC Agendas
  • (2) Discuss SAC response to adlib email of 3/1 - 15 mins - Julia
  • (3) Resume workshop - 10 mins - Ashley
  • (4) Hayden Renovation - 40 mins - Chris
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Grace

 

March 14, 2019

Facilitator: Julia

Notes: Jeremiah

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 mins - Julia
    • Most important thing
    • Infrastructure group
    • Decision making model adoption
    • Meeting with Dyan
    • Look over Past SAC agendas
  • (2) Communication norms for SAC - 30 mins - Julia
  • (3) Review and Finalize norms - 30 mins - Julia
  • (4) Administrative Assistants in the Libs - 15 mins - Judith, Grace
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Julia, Jeremiah

 

March 7, 2019

Facilitator: Grace

Notes: Judith

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 min - Grace
    • Meetings w/ /Rachael and Tracy
    • Spreadsheet for “Most Important Thing” wordsmithing
    • Support staff - was RW compensation email a sufficient response to the “end of February” deadline - does SAC need to follow-up?
  • (2) “Most Important Thing” Redux - 20 min - Graves
  • (3) Discuss SAC’s Decision-Making Model - 30 min - Graves/Ashley
  • (4) Planning for Rachael’s Visit - 15 min - Graves
  • (5) Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 min - Grace/Judith

 

February 28, 2019

Facilitator: Judith

Notes: Ashley

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 min.
    • Infrastructure subgroup members
    • Meeting with Rachael and SAC
  • (2) Update on Agenda building subgroup 10 min. - Grace
  • (3) Meeting with Dyan - 15 min. - Ashley & Jeremiah
  • (4) “Most important thing”
  • (5) Tell Us
  • (6) Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 min. - Ashley

 

February 21, 2019

Facilitator: Jeremiah

Notes: Matt

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 15 min. - Jeremiah
    • Sharing our “most important things”
    • Adding a new question about what we think is going well? (Michelle)
    • Form for new submissions (Matt)
    • Digital infrastructure - where are we? - Matt
    • Support Staff subgroup follow up
  • (2) Initial Infrastructure Brainstorming - 10 min. - Ashley
  • (3) Amanda Bennett / Talent Development update - 30 min - Ashley
  • (4) Question of “referrals” from Rachael - 20 min. - Jeremiah
  • (5) Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 min. - Jeremiah

 

February 14, 2019

Facilitator: Ashley Clark

Notes: Michelle Baildon

  • (1) Recap of past action items - 5 min. - Ashley
    • Sharing our “most important things” + form for new submissions (all + Matt)
    • Agenda-building team - team
    • Digital infrastructure - where are we? - Matt
  • (2) Recap of Library Council meeting - 5 min - Ashley
  • (3) LMSI 2 debrief - 20 min. - Grace and Jeremiah
  • (4) SAC response to follow-up letter from support staff - 30 min. - Chris
  • (5) Question of “referrals” from Rachael - 20 min. - Ashley
  • (6) Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 min. - Ashley

 

February 7, 2019

Facilitator: Matt

Notes: Barbara

  • Welcome - 5 minutes - Matt
  • Recap of past action items - 5 mins - Matt
    • Agenda-building team
    • Digital infrastructure
    • Meeting with Dyan
  • Debrief after meeting with Chris - 20 mins - all
  • Drafting of bullet points for Chris, Rachel, and AD’s for their communication - 10 mins - Matt
  • Group norms and language - 10 mins - Matt
  • Recap of Library Council meeting - 5 mins - Ashley
  • Recap of action items from this meeting - 5 mins - Matt

 

February 5, 2019 (meeting with Chris Bourg)

  • Intro/framing the meeting (5 min.) - Michelle
  • Two framing questions (5 min.) - Matt and Barbara
    • The view from the Director’s Office: what are the pressures on and priorities of MIT Libraries’ leadership?
    • Your thoughts on the state of the organization’s culture, and your role in helping the organization grow and change
  • Communication structures for SAC and Libraries’ leadership (Chris, Director’s Group, ADs, Joint Leadership Team, directorate leadership, Library Council, Rachael) (15 min.) - Jeremiah
  • Response to SAC Holiday Closure feedback letter (25 min.) - Ashley
  • SAC member round robin: Share 1-2 sentences about the most important thing you want to share with Chris as we start working together to improve organizational culture and effectiveness and staff morale. (5 min.) - All

 

January 31, 2019

  • Agenda topic one : Prep for meeting with Chris B.
    • Time needed: 45 minutes
  • Agenda topic two:  “Would it be helpful if we were to set aside 5-10 minutes at each of our meetings for a check-in from our various departments/teams/directorates?  There is so much going on all the time across the Libraries,” “we could leverage the cross-directorate nature of this group to share updates that are relevant to the work of SAC.”
    • Time needed: 10 minutes

 

January 24, 2019

  • Follow up on unresolved ground rules (5 min)
  • Record keeping infrastructure update (5 min)
  • Agenda Building Team follow up (5 min)
  • Holiday Letter follow up email  (15 min)
  • Letter to Dyan and Directors’ Group (15 min)
  • Planning for meeting with Chris Bourg (45 min)

 

January 17, 2019

  • Review last meeting action items
  • Resolve some of the yellow Potential Ground Rules – 10mins
  • Follow up to the holiday letter – 30mins
  • What is our structure/process – 30mins  
  • Working with Dyan next steps – follow-up with her and/or contact Director’s Group? – 15mins
  • Review/confirm action items for next meeting – 5mins

 

January 10, 2019

  • Finish (as much as possible) norms
  • Trainings we wants to have
  • Topics/questions for dyan madrey meeting
  • SAC & LMSI
  • Review action items/confirm facilitator/notetaker for next meeting

 

January 3, 2019

  • Intro to Dyan + Q&A (Dyan + Everyone) (Time: TBD?)
  • Ground Rules Discussion (Everyone) (Time: TBD?)
  • MOU Discussion (Graves) (Time: TBD?)

 

December 17, 2018

  • Final Discussion - re: Holiday Letter to ADs, Chris & Rachael
  • Ground Rules/Norms
  • Early 2019 Time Line

 

December 13, 2018

  • Potential ground rules
  • Co-chair duties (all)
  • Holiday Closures Email Draft

 

December 6, 2018

  • Establish meeting norm
  • Co-chair election results    
  • SAC charge - re-read, identify gaps and adjust
  • Email to administration regarding Winter holiday closure communication

 

November 27, 2018

  • Introductory meeting