1. First, try the alphabetical list of standards (Excel) held in the MIT Libraries, search Barton or check the frequently asked for standards. Standards are in Barton by authoring body - NOT by individual title/number.
2. From the record in Barton, click the "Find it in Library/Request item" link to see the individual standards held in the Barker Library (10-500).
If we do not own the standard, you are part of the MIT Community, and you need the standard for your research or coursework, you may request a standard by going here: http://libraries.mit.edu/standards-form. Please read the policies carefully.
American Society for Testing and Materials: Annual Book of ASTM Standards
Current standards are available online: http://libraries.mit.edu/get/astmstand.
For older ASTM standards in print, https://libguides.mit.edu/c.php?g=175910&p=1160842#s-lg-box-wrapper-24522667see below
IEEE Standards - Electronically available through IEEE Xplore. Does not include draft standards.
Military Standards and Handbooks
Current SAE Aerospace standards are available in SAE Mobilus. For older versions or standards in print:
Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Ground Vehicle (J) Standards
- prior to 2006: available in print
- 2006 - 2010: available on CD-ROM
- 2011 or later:
- check availability in print: SAE J Standards (Ground Vehicle Standards)
- request using the Standards Request Form
ASTM standards, published in the multi-volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards, cover testing procedures, specifications and standard practices for a range of materials and topics. Their numbers indicate the broad area of the standard and the year they were published; for example, B160-61,"Specification for nickel rod and bar" is in section B (non-ferrous metals) and was published in 1961. Standards are regularly updated (and given new year designations), but not every ASTM standard is updated every year. As topics change, standards are sometimes withdrawn or given new titles/numbers.
We also have ASTM standards in print until 2008. These are all in off-campus storage and will need to be requested. There are several catalog listings depending on what year you are looking for:
Print indexes to ASTM standards are available in Barker Library reference (5th floor) at the following call numbers:
To find an older standard, first check to see if it is available online in Compass. If not: look for the standard number or the topic in the appropriate year's index volume. The volume in which the standard appears will be listed next to the standard number. From the Barton catalog links above, request the volume that you need to be sent to an on-campus library. If you cannot find what you need, use the Ask-Us service to get help.