- Encyclopedia of Associations
Discover interest groups and professional/trade associations related to your product or industry.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
The CPSC is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction.
Search for statistical series produced by the federal government. By topic, major subject area or agency.
- US Census - Annual Survey of Manufactures
Of interest are the Value of Product Shipments and Statistics for Industry Groups and Industries.
- World Development Indicators Online (WDI)
Statistical data on social, economic, financial, natural resources, and environmental indicators.
Access to statistics from market researchers, trade associations, scientific publications, and government sources. Starting place for research on industries, markets, demography, countries & economies.
- CDC FastStats
Good place to start for health statistics.
Article citations in all engineering fields, plus physics, electronics, robotics, and related fields.
Medicine and biosciences.
- Web of Science
High impact journal articles in all fields. Includes citation tracking.
Competitor to Web of Science. Includes all subjects and cited reference searching.
Selected resources that you may find useful. This is NOT a comprehensive list. For books on Markets/market share see the Market Research & Industry Overviews tab.
- Marks' standard handbook for mechanical engineers
The Mechanical Engineer's "Bible" for over 90 years. Includes data, facts, figures, equations and standards.
- Ramsey/Sleeper architectural graphic standards
Print book, in Rotch Library (10th edition at service desk). Architectural reference book that includes drawings, standards, and specifications for multiple design, planning, and construction scenarios. Includes case studies.
Engineering & scientific e-books, with interactive tables & graphs.
Includes Machinery's Handbook, plus books on biomechanics, design and more!
Tip: Try a subject search to find books on a topic. The following list offers several examples of subject headings used in our catalog.
- adventure travel
- extreme environments
- amusement parks
Check these manufacturer listings to get a better sense for what products are already on the market. You can also contact companies directly for information. Also see the Designing & Making Stuff guide.
- GlobalSpec: contains over 24,000 digitized catalogs that represent over 2.3 million products and over 183 million searchable product spec
- Medical Device Register: available in print in the Hayden/Science Library reference collection
- Thomas Register: a comprehensive resource for finding information on suppliers of industrial products and services in North America