Access to collections
- All visitors (see Special user types) may access the MIT Libraries' open stack collections, government depository material, the Institute Archives, and the Library Storage Annex (see below).
- Access restrictions apply during exam periods in December and May (see Library Hours for dates).
- Public access to Barton, the MIT Libraries’ online catalog, is at http://libraries.mit.edu/barton.
- At their discretion, the MIT Libraries may limit or refuse access by individuals or groups whose behavior fails to comply with the Libraries' Guidelines for Use.
- Access to some electronic resources is restricted to current students, faculty and staff of MIT, due to licensing agreements. Details are available at service desks.
As a selective US Federal Depository Library, the MIT Libraries will provide access to government information in accordance with the requirements of the Depository Program. Depository users must adhere to the same standards of behavior expected of other library patrons.
Institute Archives and Special Collections
Most of the Archives collection is stored off-site. To make an appointment to consult materials, contact the Reference Archivist.
Library Storage Annex
For access to the Annex in Building N57, make an appointment one business day ahead.