On this site
How do I get a library card?
Most members of the MIT community may automatically borrow items with a valid MIT ID at any MIT library service desk. Your MIT ID is your library card.
- Lincoln Lab employees must obtain an MIT ID which also serves as their library card.
- Spouse/Partners and dependents of MIT students, faculty or staff must obtain an MIT spouse/partner ID from the MIT Card Office, and then may register for an account at any MIT Libraries service desk. Dependents must be accompanied by a parent when registering for an account.
- MIT Draper Lab, MIT Whitehead Institute, MIT Affiliate & MIT DLC Sponsored cards: please contact a service desk.
- MIT Alumni: please contact Document Services for borrowing privileges.
- If you are not a member of the MIT community, see Library Services for Visitors.
How do I borrow library materials?
Use your valid MIT ID to check out library materials at any service desk. You may also use the self check-out machines at the Barker, Hayden and Dewey Libraries.
I'm not from MIT. Can I borrow MIT materials?
That depends. Please see Library Services for Visitors for more information.