Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is ArchivesSpace?
ArchivesSpace is an open source, web-based archival information management system. Members of the ArchivesSpace Users Group use ArchivesSpace at MIT to conduct the following business functions:
- create accession records that document receipt of new distinctive materials
- manage the arrangement and description of archival collections (including collections with digital content)
- maintain name and subject authorities
- record and manage locations information
- support conservation and public services operations
The MIT ArchivesSpace public user interface is the portal for browsing and searching the descriptions of archival collections at MIT. MIT ArchivesSpace is integrated with Aeon, the request and workflow management system used by the Department of Distinctive Collections, and with Archivematica, the digital processing and digital preservation system used by MIT Libraries.
The purpose of the ArchivesSpace Users Group is to provide a forum in which to share information about ArchivesSpace usage at MIT, develop common best practices whenever possible, and stay engaged with the wider ArchivesSpace community.
Any MIT employee using ArchivesSpace to describe distinctive materials (including interns and short-term project staff but excluding undergraduate student staff) is invited to join the ArchivesSpace Users Group.
- Joe Carrano, Digital Archivist, Department of Distinctive Collections
- Lana Mason, Processing Assistant, Department of Distinctive Collections
- Chris Tanguay, Processing Archivist, Department of Distinctive Collections
- Rachel Van Unen, Archival Processing Manager, Department of Distinctive Collections
- Thera Webb, Women@MIT Project Archivist, Department of Distinctive Collections
- Alex Brennen, Senior Systems Administrator, Digital Library Services
- Eric Hanson, Metadata Operations Engineer, Digital Library Services
- Carl Jones, Digital Library Systems Manager, Digital Library Services