Access to collections
- Search Barton, the MIT Libraries’ online catalog, for books, music, journals and more.
- Alumni/ae are welcome to access the MIT Libraries' open stack collections, government depository material, the Institute Archives, and the Library Storage Annex (see below).
- Access restrictions apply during exam periods in December and May (see library hours for dates).
- Alumni/ae may purchase MIT library borrowing privileges at a discount; see Privilege Cards.
- At their discretion, the MIT Libraries may limit or refuse access by individuals or groups whose behavior fails to comply with the Library use policy.
- Please note that access to some electronic resources is restricted to current students, faculty and staff of MIT, due to licensing agreements. Details are available at information desks.
- The MIT Alumni Office offers access to JSTOR, a collection of scholarly journals in many fields with deep historical coverage, although current years are excluded; EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition, a multi-disciplinary full-text database; and EBSCO Business Source Alumni Edition, a scholarly business database. To access any of these online resources, go to MIT Alumni Association Infinite Connection (Infinite Connection login required).
- The MIT Open Access Articles collection consists of scholarly articles written by MIT-affiliated authors that are made available through DSpace@MIT under the MIT Faculty Open Access Policy, the MIT opt-in open access license, or under related publisher agreements.
As a selective US Federal Depository Library, the MIT Libraries will provide access to government information in accordance with the requirements of the Depository Program. Depository users must adhere to the same standards of behavior expected of other library patrons.
Institute Archives and Special Collections
Most of the Archives collection is stored off-site. To make an appointment to consult materials, contact the Reference Archivist.
Library Storage Annex
For access to the Annex in Building N57, make an appointment one business day ahead.