Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Get started with Mendeley
- Go to mendeley.com to create an account. Create a password, rather than signing in via your institution, as this login method only works on mendeley.com, not with the software installed on your computer. Sign in from the MIT network to get extra storage.
Important notes about creating an account:
- In some cases (such as if you have a pre-existing Elsevier account), you may be forced to sign in via an institution using Touchstone. To get around this, use a non-MIT email address. You will still get the extra storage.
- If you do create an account with Touchstone, rather than by setting a password, use the forgot password option at mendeley.com or contact Mendeley tech support and request a password. Indicate that you are an institutional subscriber.
- Download Mendeley Reference Manager.
- Add the Web Importer to your browser.
- Search for an article in a database. Click the Mendeley button to save a citation from a website.
- You will be prompted to sign into your account if you are not already. Mendeley will try to find the bibliographic information from that website. Choose a folder and click Save.
- Install Mendeley Cite. See the help guide. Can't find your Mendeley Cite add-in? Look under Insert > My Add-ins. Mendeley Cite may not install on newer versions of Word due to how Office 365 is configured at MIT. See information below for options..
- See the Mendeley Quick Start Guide for more information. Note that this is for Mendeley Desktop. Mendeley Reference Manager will look similar, but have fewer features.
Installing the Mendeley Word Add-in
The Mendeley Cite plugin will currently not install on some versions of Word due to how Office 365 is configured at MIT. Future IS&T upgrades will solve this issue, but in the meantime sign out of your MIT account to install and use the plugin.
- Sign out of your MIT-affiliated Office 365 account in Word.
- Install Mendeley Cite from the Insert > Get Add-Ins menu in Word.
- Remain signed out of Word while using the plugin.
Mendeley at MIT
With MIT's Mendeley Institutional account you get:
- 100 GB of personal space in Mendeley (vs. 2 GB with the free, unaffiliated version)
- 100 GB of shared space (vs. 100 MB with a free account)
- the ability to create an unlimited number of shared groups with up to 100 members
Access our subscription:
- Create a Mendeley account if you do not have one. Do not choose sign in via your institution. This is not working with the desktop software.
- Sign into your account from the MIT network. Use the VPN if you are away from campus. If you do not automatically have access to the premium features, email us and we can manually add you to MIT's account.
- You must log into your account using the MIT network at least once during a 12-month period to maintain premium access. You will be notified 10 days before your premium access expires. If you have graduated, you can pay for extra storage or use the storage included with a free account (2 GB).
Get help with citation software