Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Import geographic data and create visualizations
- Carto has its own data repository from which you can add data to your map.
- Supported data types: .csv, .tab, .shp (saved as .zip or .gz), .kml/.kmz, .xls/.xlsx, geojson, .gpx, .osm/.bz2, .ods, .sql
- Storage Limits: 500MB with MIT's Enterprise Account
- Create customized maps and perform basic analysis
- Supported data types: .shp (saved as .zip), .csv, .txt, .gpx
- Storage limits: 1,000 features in each layer, 2MB for public accounts
Create an MIT account to access all the features:
If you prefer an account with a separate login and password (not your kerberos), skip these steps and email us and we'll set it up. This is needed if you'll be entering your account into a python script for GIS analysis.
- Go to arcgis.com
- Select Sign In and choose Your ArcGIS organization's URL.
- Enter mit in the box and select Continue. You'll now be able to sign in using Touchstone.
- Note: If you have a previously created account from GIS Services, using the enterprise login will create a new account and there is no way to merge them. Choose the ArcGIS login option on arcgis.com to access your previously created account.
ESRI Story Maps
- Story maps use geography as a means of organizing and presenting information. They tell the story of a place, event, issue, trend, or pattern in a geographic context.
- They combine interactive maps with other rich content—text, photos, video, and audio—within user experiences that are basic and intuitive.
- Supported data types: varies based on the app. Content can include maps imported from ArcGIS Online, photos, videos, and audio.
- Storage limits: integrated into ArcGIS Online account, which includes 2MB of storage. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information about our ArcGIS Online institutional account.
Google Mapping Products
- Create simple, easy maps using My Maps.
- Supported data types: .csv, .tsv, .kml, .xlsx, google spreadsheets
- Storage Limits: 10 data layers per map, 10,000 features per map, 50 attributes per feature, import limit: 2000 rows/points/up to 40MB
Google Fusion Tables:
- Visualize tabular data
- Supported data types: .csv, .tsv (or other text-delmited files), .kml, .xls/.xlsx/.ods, google spreadsheets
- Storage limits: 1 GB, Import limit: 250MB/5,000 columns per table/1 million characters per cell
MapBox and Mapbox Studio
- Create basic maps of locations (best for point data) or use Mapbox Studio to create more complicated, customized maps and upload them to your Mapbox account.
- Supported data types: .GeoJSON, .kml, .gpx, .csv
- Additional supported data types in Mapbox Studio: Shapefiles (saved as .zip), GeoTIFF, SQLite, PostGIS, VRTs
- Storage limits: 1 GB of storage, 50,000 map views per month
- Upgrades start at $49/month.
Leaflet is designed with simplicity, performance and usability in mind. It works efficiently across all major desktop and mobile platforms out of the box, taking advantage of HTML5 and CSS3 on modern browsers while still being accessible on older ones. It can be extended with a huge amount of plugins, has a beautiful, easy to use and well-documented API, and a simple, readable source code that is a joy to contribute to.
OpenLayers is a high-performance, feature-packed library for all your mapping needs. Create tiled and vector layers that can be customized through programming.