In this guide....
Basic Search: (laboratory manuals) and (biol* or biochem*) Will retrieve over 300 books about experimental methods.
Databases that index selected protocols
Protocols on the Web
- Open WetWare is an effort to promote the sharing of information, know-how, and wisdom among researchers and groups who are working in biology & biological engineering.
- Protocol exchange The Protocol Exchange is an open resource where the community of scientists pool their experimental know-how to help accelerate research.
- Protocols Online a database of research protocols in a variety of life science fields. It contains protocols contributed by worldwide researchers as well as links to web protocols hosted by worldwide research labs, biotech companies, personal web sites.
Methods in Dissertations and Theses
- DSpace theses collection - MIT theses and dissertations
- Dissertations and Theses (Proquest) - theses and dissertations from North American universities, some worldwide
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) - International open access collection of electronic theses and dissertations
About Protocols and Methods
Protocols and methods are a body of literature that describe experimental procedures. Descriptions of experimental procedures are widespread in the scientific literature. The methods sections of research articles are typically brief, and may not provide enough information for a researcher to replicate the process, particularly if the researcher is not already familiar with the procedure.
- Research methods are often published separately.
- These appear in a variety of formats.
- There are journals and serials that focus on methods, such as Methods in Enzymology.
- These may be indexed in databases such as Pubmed, Web of Science, or SciFinder.
- Much of the literature in published in books, and these are not widely indexed.
A good protocol can save you countless hours in the lab with proven methodologies as a starting point for your research.